Thursday, November 5, 2015

How About This

There are times where my head gets lost in space, reflecting on life, in general. The past 11 months have taught me a lot. To reevaluate my priorities; to let go of things/situations (even humans) beyond my control; to focus on my core values; to not let the grapevine affect my judgement; to stay observant and attentive to my surroundings; to listen; to learn; to share ... 

The past 11 months, there were also plenty of talk/questions about marriage. How about this? My take is, when one is ready, one will partake that journey. Till then, I am pretty content where we are. Then there is this whole thing about wedding gifts, this whole culture about expecting your guests to pay for your wedding. No offense to those who practice that; it really does not make sense to me.

Think about it - You want to throw a lavish wedding (or maybe you are obligated to do so because of your elders' request); you invite family and friends to celebrate the day with you, and you expect them to 'cover some of your wedding expenses'. Societal expectations/obligations - tsk! tsk! I think this is why I declined quite a number of wedding invites the last 5 years, unless we are extremely close. And I have been telling Chris, if you can't afford to do it, don't. I know it's a once in a lifetime thing (or at least it's supposed to be). But, hey! This coming from someone who couldn't bother paying a hefty fee for her graduation robe, some sub-par food, and a day of speeches. I just had my certificate delivered to me. Hah!


No comments:

Post a Comment